In an effort to quickly assist residents reduce the chance of sanitary sewer backups, Mayor Matthew J. Castelli and Middleburg Heights City Council enacted Middleburg Heights Ordinance 2023-70, creating the Middleburg Heights Sanitary Sewer Backup Reduction Grant on September 12, 2023. The SSBR Grant was developed to provide Middleburg Heights homeowners with direct financial assistance for home improvement projects designed to reduce the risk of sanitary sewer backups.
Eligible properties are those which:
- Are owner occupied single family residential dwellings,
- Experienced a sanitary sewer backup on or after Thursday, July 20, 2023,
- The sanitary backup is unrelated to a failure of the owner’s private septic system,
- The sanitary lateral must be snaked, dye tested, and televised by Cuyahoga County Department of Public Works, CCDPW (no charge to homeowner), prior to grant approval, and
- CCDPW must locate or install test “T” / cleanout (no charge to homeowner), prior to grant approval.
Eligible projects include:
- Elimination of sanitary sewer cross connections,
- Replacement of sanitary sewer laterals,
- Lining of sanitary sewer laterals,
- Installation of backwater prevention devices, and / or
- Other similar sewer backup protection measures approved by the City.
Grant applications are available at:
Middleburg Heights Department of Public Service
15700 Bagley Road
Middleburg Heights, Ohio 44130
Please see the Sanitary Sewer Backup Reduction Grant application for all terms and conditions. Once completed, submit your application, along with W-9 (IRS Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification), and proof of ownership to the Middleburg Heights Department of Public Service, or email@example.com. Once received the Department of Public Service will authorize the dye testing and televising of your sanitary sewer lateral as the final step of the application process.
The paid contractor invoice will determine the amount of reimbursement that will be returned to you. This grant will reimburse 100% of project cost up to a maximum of $2,500.00. After the work has been completed and paid for, submit a reimbursement request, a copy of the contractor’s itemized invoice, proof of payment, and an approved final inspection report to the Department of Public Service.
Grant applications and reimbursement requests may be returned to the Middleburg Heights Department of Public Service at the above address or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
A list of registered contractors who can perform work on your property is available from the Middleburg Heights Building Department. The City will waive permit fees associated with this grant. Please contact the Ohio Utilities Protection Service at least 48 hours before construction starts for utility location identification:
Ohio Utilities Protection Service, call 8-1-1 or 1-800-362-2764
Please direct your questions regarding this grant program to the Department of Public Service, (440) 234-2216 or email@example.com.