General Questions

Where can I obtain information on voting?

Call the Board of Elections at (216) 443-3200.

What is the senior transportation provider and their number?

Senior Transportation Connections (STC) can be reached at (216) 265-1489.

What is the phone number for the Middleburg Heights Food Pantry?

The Middleburg Heights Food Pantry can be reached at (216) 362-0044. Their address is 7000 Paula Drive.

What is the phone number for SCAN HUNGER PANTRY?

SCAN HUNGER PANTRY can be reached at (440) 260-7226. Their address is 85 South Rocky River Drive, Berea, Ohio 44017.

What cable companies provide service in Middleburg Heights?

WOW! can be reached at (800) 343-2076. Spectrum can be reached at (855) 243-8892.

What is the school system for Middleburg Heights?

The Middleburg School System is under the Berea Board of Education. The number is (216) 898-8300.

What is the number for the Middleburg Heights Library?

The number is (440) 234-3600.

What is the number for Midpark Post Office?

The number is (440) 843-8816.

Where do I call for flu shots?

The Community Center handles these calls, (440) 234-2255.

Where do I obtain a garage sale permit?

The Police Department issues garage sale permits. Call (440) 243-1234.

Mayor's Office

Does the mayor perform marriages?

No. For a civil marriage service, one suggestion is to contact the Berea Municipal Court at (440) 826-5860. A judge is able to perform marriages.

How do I obtain a marriage license?

Marriage licenses are obtained at the Cuyahoga County Courthouse, 1 Lakeside Avenue, downtown Cleveland. Call the courthouse at (216) 443-8920 for a recorded, detailed informational message.

Can I reserve the Gazebo next to City Hall for a wedding, for photos, or for another event?

Yes. Please call the mayor's secretary at (440) 234-8811 to check availability of your requested date and time, and to be placed on the Gazebo reservation list.

How do I reserve a pavilion behind City Hall?

Call the Community Center / Recreation Department at (440) 234-2255 for details and to reserve.

Police Department

What are the police department's hours of operation?

The police department is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, including holidays. The address is 15850 East Bagley Road. The department is located directly across the parking lot from the city municipal building.

Can a traffic citation be paid at the police department?

Only parking citations can be paid at the police department. All other citations must be paid at either the Middleburg Heights Mayor's Court or the Berea Municipal Court. Refer to the citation for the appropriate court.

Is there a restriction on overnight parking?

Yes. No vehicles can be left on the roadway between 2 a.m. and 6 a.m. Under special circumstances, the police department may grant roadway parking for a limited time during those hours if requested in advance.

Will the police department check my house while I'm away on vacation?

Yes. Simply come to the police department before you leave and complete a vacation/house check request form for this service.

Can a police report be filed online through the Internet or by telephone?

No. All police reports must be filed in person.

What are the hours for curfew for juveniles in the city?

  • For children 12 and under:
    One hour after sunset

  • For children 13-16:
    10 p.m. – 5 a.m. Sun-Thurs
    11 p.m. – 5 a.m. Fri-Sat

  • For children 17:
    11 p.m. – 5 a.m. Sun-Thurs
    12 a.m. – 5 a.m. Fri-Sat

If I lock my keys in my vehicle, can the police department help?

Yes. If contacted, an officer will respond and attempt to assist. You must, however, sign a release form. The officer will not attempt to open the vehicle if it is equipped with side-impact air bags due to the danger of them being deployed. If the officer cannot gain entry for you, he will assist in contacting a towing company for further assistance, at your expense.

When would a snow ban be in effect for parking on the roadway?

When snowfall exceeds 2 inches, the Chief of Police can call a parking snow ban into effect. Under a snow ban, any vehicle parked on the roadway is subject to being ticketed and towed. It is very important to keep the roadways clear so as to allow for effective snow removal/plowing not only for regular vehicle travel, but for emergency vehicles to be able to respond to emergencies.

Will the police department take a report if I'm involved in a traffic crash on private property?

Yes. If there are no injuries and the vehicles are drivable, you should exchange information and respond to the police department for a report. If there are injuries or the vehicles are not drivable, an officer will respond to the scene of the crash.

Can I leave my vehicle parked on private property overnight?

The police department cannot grant overnight parking permission for private property. The owner of the property should be contacted for permission.

Does the police department install child safety seats?

Yes. The police department has personnel who are trained to install and to teach the installation of child safety seats. This service is free to Middleburg Heights residents, but please call ahead to schedule an appointment.

How do I enroll my child in the city's Safety Town program?

Safety Town registration is done at the Middleburg Heights Community Center. Call the center at (440) 234-2255 for more information.

How can I get a copy of a police report?

While a report can be obtained by visiting the police department with a request for the report, it is not always possible for personnel to immediately provide that report due to circumstances. It is therefore recommended that a report be requested by sending a request along with a self-addressed stamped envelope to the police department.

Is there a charge for a copy of the police report?

There is no charge for copies of police reports on the file with the Middleburg Heights Police Department. There is a charge for the reproduction of photographs.

How can I contact the city animal control officer (animal warden)?

They can be contacted by paging (440) 243-1234.

Fire Department

What is the Fire Department phone number and address?

The business line is (440) 243-1313. The address is 15800 Bagley Road.

My water is brown; what do I do?

Go to the lowest part of your home and run the cold water until it clears. If it does not clear after 10 minutes, please call the Fire Department.

Are you accepting applications for Firefighter?

Call Civil Service at (440) 234-8811 for information.

How do I get rid of old fire extinguishers, fireworks, paint, or hazardous materials?

Visit the Cuyahoga County Solid Waste District  opens in a new windowwebsite or call (216) 443-3749.

What hospitals will the ambulance take me to?

Southwest General Health Center, Parma Community, Parma Kaiser and Fairview General. In most emergencies, the closest hospital is the best choice for rapid treatment. The decision is made by medical control if necessary.

Do you give away smoke detectors to seniors?

We do not, but if you are alone and need help changing a battery, we will assist you when possible.

Does the City have a CERT (Citizen Emergency Response Team)?

Yes, Captain Ed Szoke is the MHFD CERT team contact. Our CERT team members are co-located with the BrookPark and Berea CERT teams. If you are interested in joining the CERT please contact Captain Ed Szoke at (440) 243-1313 and learn how to fill out an application. CERT Training academies are taught through the EMS office as Southwest General and are held regularly when there are enough applicants to hold a class.

Does the Fire Department provide CPR, AED or Fire Extinguisher training?

The Fire Department does provide many different types of training. Call (440) 243-1313 and the secretary will take messages for our trainers regarding setting up a session. Public classes may be scheduled during the year. Please check our website, Facebook and or call the fire station if you are interested in attending a future class. The American Red Cross and Southwest General Hospital also provide CPR courses.

Does the Fire Station offer tours for children?

If the child or group lives or attends school in the city, we can usually schedule a tour. Please call the secretary and she will assist you. Tours are limited to a certain number in a group for safety purposes.

Can I use the fire hydrant to fill my swimming pool?

Only licensed contractors can use the hydrants and only with the proper permits.

Can I burn in the fire pit that I purchased?

Contact the Middleburg Heights Fire Department or Cleveland Air Quality Department for additional information and regulations regarding open burning. Download the Outdoor Recreational Fire Rules brochure opens in a new windowhere.


How is the court operating during the COVID-19 Pandemic?

The City is now doing virtual court. For access to the courtroom online, please go to the following link:
opens in a new window

To register in advance for the virtual court, please go to the following link:
opens in a new window

When is court held?

Wednesdays at 9 a.m.

What are the hours of the court?

The court office is open Monday through Friday (excluding holidays) from 9 a.m. to noon and from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.

Is the court open on weekends?

No. Weekdays only.

Do you have a drop box for after-hours payments?

No, payments are accepted in person or through the mail.

Can I pay by telephone?

No, payments are accepted in person or through the mail.

Can I pay online?

Yes. Please go to our Court Page. Online payment link is located at bottom of the page.

Must I appear in person to enter my plea?

If you wish to enter a "no contest" or "not guilty" plea, you must appear in person.

Where is the court located?

The Middleburg Heights Mayor’s Court is located in:
Middleburg Heights
City Hall
15700 Bagley Road
Middleburg Heights, Ohio 44130

What is the telephone number for Berea Municipal Court?

(440) 826-5860

What forms of payment are accepted by the court?

The court accepts cash, MasterCard, VISA, and Discover cards, personal checks, and money orders. Cash and credit card payments are only accepted in person.

Recreation Department

Normal hours of operation may be different. Please call (440) 234-2255 to verify.

Do you have to be a resident to be a member?

No, non-residents can purchase a membership as an adult (ages 19-59), family (ages 23 or younger) or senior (age 60+). We do not offer non-resident youth memberships (18 and under). Non-resident members are also eligible for all member rates in Learn to Swim classes, programs, rentals and athletic programs.

How do you become a SilverSneaker?

Check with your insurance company to see if they provide this benefit. You can also go to opens in a new for details on the program.

What age does senior rate begin?

Regular Membership - Age 60 Silver Sneaker Membership - Age 65 (in most but not all cases)

Does a membership include any classes?

Silver Sneaker Memberships include Silver Sneaker Classes only. Other memberships do not include any classes.

How can I apply for a job with the Rec. Dept?

Download an application form opens in a new windowhere and turn in to the front desk at the center. we accept applications year round but our peak season is in the summer months.

What is the definition of family?

Family is defined as 5 individuals (2 adults and up to 3 dependent children, ages 23 or younger who must reside at the same residence. Additional family members are assessed an extra fee. Any falsification of information will result in forfeiture of membership fees and revoked membership.

At what age can a child be in the center without an adult?

8 years old.

Community Room Questions

Can you serve alcoholic beverages?

Yes, you must provide us with insurance that lists the City of Middleburg Heights for 1 million dollars for the day of your event, and that covers host liquor liability. You must also have a policeman. They are $30.00 per hour and arrangements are made through the rental coordinator.

Do you have to be a resident of Middleburg Heights to rent the rooms?

No you do not need to be a resident.

Can we bring in our own caterer?

Yes you can. If they are using our main kitchen, they must sign a contract and pay a $75.00 fee and also provide insurance.

Is there a minimum amount of hours that you must rent for?

No, there is no minimum.

Do any of the kitchens have a stove?

No, each kitchen is equipped with a microwave oven and kitchen A has a double convection oven.

Fitness Area Questions

How old do you have to be to use the fitness area?

Children between the ages of 12-14 will be allowed to use the Nautilus & Cardio equipment if they are accompanied and supervised by an adult or if they have completed the Youth Fitness Class held on Saturday mornings. No one under the age of 15 is allowed in the Free Weight area. No child under the age of 12 will be allowed on the track unless accompanied & supervised by an adult.

How many laps constitute a mile on the track?

Approximately 12 laps comprise one mile if you are in the outermost lane.

How long can I exercise on a piece of equipment?

During busy hours, we ask that you limit your time on a particular piece of equipment to 30 minutes.

Aquatic Questions

How long will it take for my child to learn how to swim?

All children progress at different levels and the description of "swimming" is different for everyone. The most important factor is to make sure that your child respects the water and knows the rules of safety. As with any activity, the more exposure your child has to the water in a safe environment, the sooner they will master the skills. Generally children begin to understand the concepts around age 4-5 but it may take years of practice to become an accomplished swimmer.

At what age is it safe for my child to swim without my direct supervision?

If you are asking the question, it is probably unsafe for your child to be at the pool without direct adult supervision. We use age 8 as a guideline with the idea that around that time children understand their own limitations. Always remember that there is no substitute for a parents' vigilant observation of their own child.

Why don't you let parents watch swim lessons from the pool deck?

Children tend to focus more on the lesson without the parent in view. Parents tend to be cheerleaders and sometimes intervene with or speak for the child while the teacher is trying to earn the respect and trust of the child. The pool area tends to be hot and uncomfortable for anyone not dressed for swimming. For sanitary reasons, the pool deck stays cleaner when street shoes are not worn on the deck.

How do I know which level of water exercise program is appropriate for me?

We offer a range of classes from stretching to moderate aerobics. Class descriptions serve as a guideline but any class within reason can be adapted by the individual attending the class. The best advice is to consult with your physician to see if you have any physical limitations. Speak to the instructor before class about ways that you can participate without causing a health risk to yourself. The benefit of exercise in water is that it is safer than exercise on land due to buoyancy. Use that to your advantage.

Why do the lifeguards allow children or water walkers in the lap lanes?

This policy is really a judgment call based on the swimming crowd at any given time. If a child can swim non-stop, there really is no reason to keep them out. Some adults prefer to water walk in the lanes rather than the channel and again, based on the crowd at the time, we do allow it. If you feel that a child or adult walker is keeping you from being able to swim laps, please consult a lifeguard or aquatic supervisor at the time you are here. We will do our best to accommodate all swimmers.

Athletic Program Questions

My child will not have reached the school grade or age required for a specific athletic program, but I think he/she is ready to participate at that next level. Can we sign up for that program?

If this particular program does not have a limit on number of registrations, you may sign up and attend evaluations for the program you wish to have your child participate in. Our staff will determine readiness.

Do you have to be a resident to participate in youth athletic programs?

No, participants must reside in or attend a public or private school located within the boundaries of the Berea City School District or have a current MHCC membership. Check our website at or call the athletic director.

Can my child be placed on the same team with another for transportation purposes?

We get many requests of this nature, but we cannot guarantee placing children other than siblings on the same team. In fairness to all participants, our objective is to make teams as equal as possible. Requests will be considered if, after evaluations, it is determined that placing friends together would have no effect on the parity of the teams.

Can I request to have or to not have my child on a team with a specific coach?

We will consider such a request, providing there are more than 2 coaches in that particular program and doing so would not affect parity of the league.

Senior Activities Questions

Do I have to live in Middleburg Heights to participate in your activities?


May I bring a friend or family member that isn't a senior on your trips?


Do I have to have a membership to attend your senior dance?

No, but there is a member discount.

Programs/Classes Questions

How old do you have to be to use the fitness area?

Children between the ages of 12-14 will be allowed to use the Nautilus & Cardio equipment if they are accompanied and supervised by an adult. No one under the age of 15 is allowed in the Free Weight area. No child under the age of 12 will be allowed on the track unless accompanied & supervised by an adult.

How many laps constitute a mile on the track?

Approximately 12 laps comprise one mile if you are in the outermost lane.

How long can I exercise on a piece of equipment?

During busy hours, we ask that you limit your time on a particular piece of equipment to 30 minutes.

Boards and Commissions

When does the Planning Commission meet?

The Planning Commission meets the second and fourth Wednesdays of each month at 7:00 p.m. in the council chambers at City Hall to conduct business as required.

What is the deadline for submissions?

Sign applications that meet all the Zoning Code's requirements should be submitted at least 15 days prior to the meeting. Other projects should be submitted at least 30 days prior to the meeting.

What size should the plans be?

You may submit plans on the smallest size that is legible. Signs may be submitted on 8.5" x 11" paper, and other plans may be submitted on 11" x 17" paper. Please submit one full-size copy for the City Engineer.

How much signage is permitted?

Typically, the total sign-face area permitted is based on a formula using the frontage of the unit, depending on the zoning classification of the property. Please refer to Chapter 1153 of the Zoning Code.

What is the cost for signage approval?

The application fee to appear before the Planning Commission is $100. After the Planning Commission approves the signs, the applicant must obtain a separate sign permit from the Building Department. The sign permit fee has a base fee of $10, an additional $20 if there are illuminated signs, $1 per square foot (both sides of ground mounted signs count), and a 3 percent State fee. The $10 base fee and the $20 illumination fee apply to the entire sign package and not each separate sign.

How many copies of plans should I submit?

Instructions are listed on each application. Typically, 12 sets of paper copies of plans are required. You do not need to copy the actual application. PDF files of all drawings are also required. You may submit the PDF files on a USB or email them to

Do I need to appear before the Planning Commission for preliminary and final approvals?

Large projects are required to have preliminary and final approvals. Some smaller projects may only require final approval. Please see Zoning Code Chapter 1147. You may contact the Building Commissioner at (440) 234-2218 to discuss the process for your individual project.

When does the Board of Zoning and Building Appeals meet?

The Board of Zoning and Building Appeals meets the third Wednesday of each month at 7:00 p.m. in the council chambers at City Hall to conduct business as required.

What is the deadline for variance applications?

As stated on the application, applications should be submitted 30 days prior to a meeting.

Am I likely to receive a variance?

The Board of Zoning and Building Appeals reviews each application for an area variance to determine if it complies with the purpose and intent of the Zoning Code and Comprehensive Master Plan based on sufficient evidence demonstrating that the literal enforcement of the Code will result in a practical difficulty. A practical difficulty exists whenever a zoning standard unreasonably deprives a landowner of a permitted use of their property. The factors listed in Zoning Code Section 1127.06(e) will be considered and weighed in determining whether a property owner seeking an area variance has encountered practical difficulties in the use of their property.

What kind of variances will the Board consider?

The Board will hear and decide upon applications for area variances. An area variance is defined as those variances from a zoning regulation that establishes minimum or maximum areas, heights, distances, separation volume, or any other US customary unit of measurement. Use variances are prohibited. A use variance is defined as a variance that is granted to allow the establishment or expansion of a use of land that is not permitted in the zoning district in which the property is located.

Will my neighbors be notified?

Yes. The Secretary will send a letter through the mail to property owners contiguous to and directly across the street from the parcel or parcels which are the subject of the appeal. The agenda will be posted on the City’s website, and you will be asked to post a sign on the site.

Does a variance expire?

A variance, once granted, shall not be withdrawn, or changed unless there is a change of circumstances, or if after the expiration of one year, no substantial construction is done in accordance with the terms and conditions under which the variance was granted. Approved area variances that are not acted upon within 12 months shall be considered null and void.

Where can I find my permanent parcel number?

Property information can be obtained from the Cuyahoga County Fiscal Officer’s office. Or visit their opens in a new windowwebsite.

Economic Development Department

Does the City maintain a list of businesses for review?

The City does not maintain a complete list of businesses; however, some general information regarding business members of the Middleburg Heights Chamber of Commerce can be obtained on the Chamber of Commerce opens in a new windowwebsite or by calling the Chamber at (440) 243-5599.

Does the City have a down payment assistance program for first-time home buyers?

The City of Middleburg Heights participates in several programs through the Cuyahoga County Department of Development which are specifically designed to help homeowners. One of those programs is the Down Payment Assistance program. Additional information regarding the program can be obtained from the Cuyahoga County Department of Development website or by calling (216) 443-7000.

Does the City maintain a list of available commercial properties?

The City of Middleburg Heights maintains lists of commercial properties for sale and for lease at this link. Contact Charles Bichara, Director of Economic Development, at (440) 234-8811 for information regarding specific commercial properties.

Are employees of businesses located in Middleburg Heights eligible to be members of the Middleburg Heights Community Center?

The award-winning Middleburg Heights community center offers several alternatives for business memberships at discounted rates. Call the Recreation Department at (440) 234-2255 for details on joining the community center.

Public Service Department

What can be disposed of in storm drains?

Nothing but clean water. Please refer to the Public Service Department's web pages for further information.

How do I report a street light outage?

Call the Department of Public Service at (440) 234-2216 and give them the location of the light. Public Service will contact CEI.

When does the Middleburg Heights Service Department's leaf collection program begin?

It starts around mid-October and continues through December, weather permitting.

What should I do if I break a compact fluorescent light bulb?

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency recommends the following steps if you break a CFL on a hard surface:
  • Carefully scoop up glass pieces and powder using stiff paper or cardboard and place them in a glass jar with metal lid (such as a canning jar) or in a sealed plastic bag.
  • Use sticky tape, such as duct tape, to pick up any remaining small glass fragments and powder.
  • Wipe the area clean with damp paper towels or disposable wet wipes.
  • Place towels in the glass jar or plastic bag.
  • Do not use a vacuum or broom to clean up the broken bulb on hard surfaces.

Who do I call about a sanitary sewer backup?

The Cuyahoga County Department of Public Works at (216) 443-8201. For emergency service (nights and weekends), please call (800) 683-2689.

How do I dispose of my oil-based paint and other household hazardous waste?

In conjunction with the Cuyahoga County Solid Waste District, the City of Middleburg Heights offers a free Household Hazardous Waste Round-Up 3 times per year. Household hazardous materials can be dropped off by residents and disposed of free of charge. Please call the Service Department at (440) 234-2216 or visit the Service Department’s Trash and Recycling website for dates and times.

When is the Middleburg Heights Service Department's Shred-It Day?

The Service Department sponsors Shred-It Day every June and October between 9 a.m. and noon. Please call the Service Department at (440) 234-2216 or visit the Service Department’s Trash and Recycling website for the next Shred-It Day event.

What do the black and white X's on sidewalk blocks mean?

During the annual sidewalk repair program, sidewalk blocks marked with a black X are the responsibility of the property owner to replace. Sidewalk blocks marked with a white X are the responsibility of the city.

How can I dispose of unwanted medication / prescriptions?

The Middleburg Heights Police Department will accept and dispose of any unneeded medications or prescription drugs. The dropbox is located in the Police Station lobby.

How do I dispose of my refrigerator, air conditioner or dehumidifier?

First, have a heating and air conditioning contractor remove the refrigerant (Freon) and then place the appliance on your tree lawn for rubbish pickup. Refrigerator doors must be removed.

What are the requirements to qualify for the Senior Driveway Snow Program?

Residents must be 65 years of age or older, reside alone or with a spouse of like age or older, and have no other able-bodied person living in the same home. Also eligible are residents who have a Social Security determined disability.

What day is rubbish collected on?

All household rubbish is picked up once per week on Monday. Household rubbish should be set out for curbside collection no later than 6 a.m. Monday morning. It can also be set out after 6 p.m. Sunday evening. Please see the Service Departments Trash and Recycling webpage for additional information, such as holiday / delayed collection.

What are the major holidays on which Republic Services does not pick up my trash?

There are six: New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.

How can I recycle my computer?

Household computer equipment such as CPUs, monitors, keyboards, mice, printers, terminals, modems, software, other peripheral devices, and accessories may be taken to our City Service Center. Middleburg Heights residents only, year-round on Wednesdays and Fridays, 8:00am - 3:00pm, and the 1st and 3rd Saturdays of each month, April 16 - October 15. Television and other electronics are not accepted. For more information on how to recycle or dispose of other electronics, please visit opens in a new

I am a business; how can I recycle my computer?

Business computers can be recycled throughout the year. Take your computers to RET3 Job Corporation, 1814 E. 40th Street, Cleveland, Ohio 44114. (216) 261-9991.

Building Division

What are the office hours?

8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Monday thru Friday, excluding holidays.

What times are available for inspection?

Inspection times are available from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Monday thru Friday and are approximate. Inspections can be called in any time prior to the date requested, or up to 9:30 a.m. of the same day. Contact a Division of Building secretary at (440) 234-2218 for scheduling assistance.

How long is a permit valid?

The project must be started within 6 months of a permit being issued. The work should progress in a timely manner and be completed within one year.

Can a permit be extended?

A written request containing the address of the project, permit number and reason for extension must be submitted to the Building Commissioner for review and approval. The request must be requested before the 1-year expiration of the permit.

Can a homeowner pull a permit?

A homeowner is allowed to pull a permit when performing work on their own property in lieu of hiring a contractor. A homeowner’s affidavit must be submitted with the permit application. A homeowner should not apply for the permit when hiring a contractor.

Is authorization from a Homeowner’s Association necessary to obtain a permit?

If you belong to a Homeowner’s Association with deed restrictions, a letter of approval must accompany a permit application.

How can I obtain a list of registered contractors?

Contact the Building Division at (440) 234-2218 and specify the type of contractor that is needed. The secretary can provide a list of contractors that are currently registered. Contractors need to renew yearly.

Can a contractor register for more than one trade?

Contractors may register for more than one trade provided that all registration requirements are satisfied for each trade. Separate application fees must be paid for each trade registered. All trades can be listed on one surety bond.

Does the City of Middleburg Heights require the bond on its own bond form?

The city does not provide its own bond form. The original bond form supplied by your insurance company should be submitted with the contractor registration application documents.

What method of payment is acceptable by the Division of Building?

The Division of Building accepts cash or checks for payment. Small bills or exact cash is encouraged.

Can the city survey my property?

The City does not survey properties. A homeowner must hire a professional surveyor to determine the exact location of property lines.

Does the city require a residential point-of-sale inspection?

Any property with a septic system must obtain a Certificate of Septic System Evaluation from the Cuyahoga County Board of Health. There are no other point-of-sale requirements.  opens in a new windowPDF

Does the city have property ownership or tax information for parcels?

Specific information regarding property ownership or property taxes can be obtained from the opens in a new windowCuyahoga County Fiscal Officer’s website.

Does the city provide zoning classification information?

The city address map and zoning map can be viewed on the website. Detailed zoning information for a specific property may be requested by contacting the Division of Building at (440) 234-2218 or A written response can take 3-5 business days to complete.

Does the city allow record viewing for a specific property?

An application to view public records can be submitted to the Division of Building. Requests are processed in a timely manner. Although not required, a written request is suggested to enhance the ability to identify and locate accurate records in a timely manner. You will be contacted by phone when all requested documents are available.

Do I have to post a permit in my window?

The Building Department will issue fluorescent permits that MUST be posted in a visible location while work is being conducted on the job site.

Where is the Division of Building located?

The Division of Building is located in the lower level of City Hall at 15700 Bagley Road. A direct entrance door is in the lower-level parking area, near the newly relocated Police Station.

Why do I need a permit?

A permit enables the city to regulate safety and building code compliance. Our inspectors are state certified in all facets of construction (electric, plumbing, mechanical, fire protection, etc.).

What if I don't get a permit?

Performing work without a permit is in violation of City codes. The purpose of the permit is to ensure that inspections are called in and that the work performed is complete and properly meets the standards of all applicable codes.

Do I need to get a point-of-sale inspection when selling my house?

Middleburg Heights does not require a point-of-sale inspection.

Can my contractor leave their company sign on my lawn?

Contractors may post a sign on your property during the time they are working. However, once the work is complete the sign must be removed.

Law Department

Does the Law Department advise citizens in legal matters?

No. The Law Department does not advise citizens in legal matters. It advises the mayor, City Council, all City departments, and boards and commissions on all legal matters concerning the City. For attorney referrals, citizens can contact the Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association at (216) 696-3525.

Where and how do I file a small claim?

Small claims are filed at Berea Municipal Court, 11 Berea Commons, Berea, Ohio. (440) 826-5800.

Who do I contact regarding landlord/tenant problems?

Contact a lawyer or refer to Ohio Revised Code Chapter 5321. It is available online at opens in a new or at City Hall or the Public Library.

What government agency enforces the smoking ban?

The Cuyahoga County Board of Health. (216) 201-2000 or

How do I obtain a copy of a birth certificate?

Contact the Cleveland Department of Vital Statistics at (216) 664-2315.

How do I obtain a copy of a death certificate?

Most death certificates can be obtained from the Cleveland Department of Vital Statistics at (216) 664-2315.

My neighbor is trimming my tree's branches that extend into his yard. Can you stop him?

This is a private civil matter; the City cannot intervene.

How should I report a crime?

Emergencies should be reported to the Police Department by calling 911 or (440) 243-1234.

How do I file a police report?

Police reports are filed at the Middleburg Heights Police Department, located at 15850 Bagley Road.

Where can I find City ordinances?

The Middleburg Heights Codified Ordinances can be viewed at City Hall in the Council Office or the Law Department, and are also available at the Middleburg Heights Public Library.

Finance Department

Income Taxes

What is your income tax rate? Credit?

The city's tax rate is 2.0% with 100% credit up to 2.0%.

Where can I obtain tax forms?

Tax forms are available in the Finance Department located in city hall. Forms are also available to download on the Regional Income Tax Agency's webpage at opens in a new

Can I file electronically?

Yes, individuals can file their returns electronically at opens in a new E-filing is fast, simple, secure, and free. Employers may also file withholding forms electronically.

My child is under 18. Does he/she owe income tax and how would he/she file for a refund?

Income earned by someone under the age of 18 is not subject to tax. Your child should file Form 10-A to obtain a refund of taxes withheld.

I can't figure out the RITA tax forms. Can you help me?

Income tax assistance is available at the Finance Department for residents of Middleburg Heights and by contacting RITA at (440) 526-0900.

When is the filing deadline?

2022 taxes must be filed by April 18, 2023.

Property Taxes FAQs

What is the property tax rate?

Property tax rates are available on the County Treasurer’s webpage:  opens in a new windowCuyahoga County Treasurer Tax Rates by Community.

Why has my property tax bill gone up?

Most tax increases are due to levies approved by the voters in the community. Voters in 2022 passed Cleveland Metroparks Issue 5, a 2.7 mill replacement levy, which has increased average property taxes by $27.12 for a $100,000 home.

What is the special assessment on my property tax bill? How is it calculated?

The sanitary and storm sewer special assessments are placed on the property tax bills of all Middleburg Heights property owners based on front footage. The revenue generated from the fee is used for the maintenance and repair of Middleburg Heights sanitary and storm sewers. Cuyahoga County government handles the collection and administration of funds from this special assessment. Taxpayers may also have special assessments for other projects specific to their street.

Property Taxes

What is the property tax rate?

Property tax rates are available on the County Treasurer's webpage.

Why has my property tax bill gone up?

Voters in 2005 passed County Issue 7, which has increased average property taxes by $22.80.

What is the special assessment on my property tax bill? How is it calculated?

The sanitary and storm sewer special assessments are placed on the property tax bills of all Middleburg Heights property owners based on front footage. The revenue generated from the fee is used for the maintenance and repair of Middleburg Heights sanitary and storm sewers. Cuyahoga County government handles the collection and administration of funds from this special assessment. Taxpayers may also have special assessments for other projects specific to their street.


Where can I obtain a work permit for minors?

Work permits for minors are available at the student's school district.

Are there any employment opportunities with the City?

Check the City Employment page for information about employment opportunities.

I'm a vendor. Who do I speak to about selling you X, or how do I get on your "approved vendor list"?

The city does not have an "approved vendor list," per se; vendors are asked to mail information regarding their products or services to the city.

I'm a vendor. What is the turnaround time for invoices? I have a past due invoice; to whom should I talk?

Invoices are generally paid every two weeks. If you have questions regarding a past due invoice, please contact accounts payable at (440) 234-8989.

I'm a first time homebuyer and am looking to move into Middleburg Heights. Do you have any programs/offers/incentives to offer?

The city does not currently have any incentive programs in place. However, the Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority (RTA) offers an incentive program for homebuyers. Check their website for information about their Smart Commute Plus initiative. The State of Ohio offers a variety of programs and incentives for homebuyers through the Ohio Department of Development.