Division of Building Resources
City of Middleburg Heights
15700 Bagley Road
Middleburg Heights, Ohio 44130
Phone (440) 234-2218
Fax (440) 234-9092
The Division of Building is involved in all activities associated with residential and commercial construction and alterations.
Specifically, the division reviews construction plans and documents, issues permits, inspects work covered by the permits issued and opens in a new windowregisters contractors licensed to perform construction or alteration work in the city. Through these activities, the division is responsible for ensuring that the construction and alteration work performed meets the standards defined by the design criteria, all applicable codes and the approved plans.
The City of Middleburg Heights Division of Building enforces the current versions of the following codes, as adopted through the city’s codified ordinances:
- opens in a new windowRegistration Ordinances
- opens in a new windowOhio Building Code
- opens in a new windowOhio Plumbing Code
- opens in a new windowOhio Mechanical Code
- National Electric Code
- opens in a new windowResidential Code of Ohio
- opens in a new windowInternational Fuel Gas Code
- opens in a new windowNFPA Standards
- opens in a new windowEnergy Code
- opens in a new windowInternational Energy Code
Property Maintenance/Housing Department
The Division of Building enforces the Middleburg Heights opens in a new windowProperty Maintenance Code which requires that all properties, including structures, drives and grass be well maintained. Standards have been established to preserve neighborhoods and prevent blighted properties.
Residential rental properties must be registered and inspected biennially. The nonrefundable rental registration fee is $150 for each dwelling.
If you have a property maintenance complaint or questions regarding rental properties, please contact a zoning inspector at (440) 234-2218.
Spring 2023 Residential Property Maintenance Reminders:
Please note some property maintenance items our inspectors will be looking for during routine monitoring:
- Yard/landscaping area clean-up: Any leftover fall debris/leaves can be bagged and left for regular garbage pick-up. A temporary storage and/or garbage structure is permitted in the front yard when placed on a driveway and is valid for a 30-day period. A permit can be obtained through the Building Department.
- Bushes/trees: Residents are encouraged to be thoughtful of those using city sidewalks. Owners shall trim and/or remove dead, decayed or broken trees, plant or shrubbery, to not let it encroach onto a sidewalk. Tree lawn trees are maintained by the Service Department. If you have a tree lawn tree that needs trimming, please call the Service Department at 440-234-2216.
- Boats/campers/trailers: One boat, recreational vehicle or any type of trailer which is 24′ or less in length may be parked on a driveway temporarily for loading, cleaning, and basic maintenance not to exceed a total of 5 days in a 30-day cycle, or a total of 20 days in a calendar year. Please call a zoning inspector to advise of dates.
- Concrete: Sidewalks and driveways shall be free from any severe spalling, cracked or uneven sections of concrete. Permits are not required for repairs. The Building Department issues permits for driveway replacement. The Service Department issues permits for city sidewalks and apron replacements. A list of registered cement contractors can be acquired from the Building Department.
- Vehicles: All vehicles shall be properly licensed and operable. The city does not permit the parking of any vehicles on lawns. Please perform long-term vehicle maintenance/repairs in a garage. Parking of commercial vehicles in a residential district is prohibited.
- Garbage Collection: Garbage/refuse shall not be placed in the front yard, upon the tree lawn, at any time earlier than the day prior to the date of scheduled refuse collection by the City. If you have any questions regarding your garbage collection, please contact the Service Department at 440-234-2218.
- Lights: Many residents are looking forward to utilizing their decks and patios during the day as well as in the evening hours. Please be cognizant of light/floodlight placement so not to cause hazards or annoyance to neighboring properties.
Hours of Operation
Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., excluding holidays.
The City of Middleburg Heights employs state certified inspectors in all facets of construction (electric, plumbing, mechanical, fire protection, etc.). Inspections are conducted between 9:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding holidays. Most inspections can be scheduled for the same day, if phoned-in by 9:30 a.m. (inspection times are approximate). Please call (440) 234-2218.
Fire protection acceptance tests must be scheduled at least 48 hours in advance. Please call the Building Department to set up the date and time of inspection. The contractor must also contact the Fire Department at (440) 243-1313 to let them know the inspection has been scheduled.