Division of Building Resources

Norman Herwerden
Building Commissioner

Amy Szymanski
Building Department

City of Middleburg Heights
15700 Bagley Road
Middleburg Heights, Ohio 44130

Phone (440) 234-2218
Fax (440) 234-9092

More Resources

What are the office hours?

8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Monday thru Friday, excluding holidays.

What times are available for inspection?

Inspection times are available from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Monday thru Friday and are approximate. Inspections can be called in any time prior to the date requested, or up to 9:30 a.m. of the same day. Contact a Division of Building secretary at (440) 234-2218 for scheduling assistance.

How long is a permit valid?

The project must be started within 6 months of a permit being issued. The work should progress in a timely manner and be completed within one year.

Can a permit be extended?

Yes, upon consent of the Building Commissioner. A written request containing the address of the project, permit number and reason for extension must be submitted for review and approval.

Can a homeowner pull a permit?

A homeowner is allowed to pull a permit and perform work on their property in lieu of hiring a contractor. A homeowner’s affidavit must be submitted with the permit application.

Is authorization from a Homeowner’s Association necessary to obtain a permit?

If you belong to a Homeowner’s Association with deed restrictions, a letter of approval must accompany a permit application.

How can I obtain a list of registered contractors?

Contact the Building Division at (440) 234-2218 and specify the type of contractor that is needed. The secretary can provide a list of contractors that are currently registered. Contractors need to renew yearly.

Can a contractor register for more than one trade?

Contractors may register for more than one trade provided that all registration requirements are satisfied for each trade. Separate application fees must be paid for each trade registered, but only one surety bond is required.

Does the City of Middleburg Heights require the bond on its own bond form?

The city does not provide its own bond form. The original bond form supplied by your insurance company should be submitted with the contractor registration application documents.

What method of payment is acceptable by the Division of Building?

The Division of Building accepts cash or checks for payment. Small bills or exact cash is encouraged.

Can the city survey my property?

The Division of Building maintains plat maps of all parcels within the city, but only a professional surveyor can determine the exact location of property lines.

Does the city require a residential point-of-sale inspection?

Any property with a septic system must obtain a Certificate of Septic System Evaluation from the Cuyahoga County Board of Health. There are no other point-of-sale requirements.  opens in a new windowPDF

Does the city have property ownership or tax information for parcels?

Specific information regarding property ownership or property taxes can be obtained from the opens in a new windowCuyahoga County Fiscal Officer’s website.

Does the city provide zoning classification information?

The city address map and zoning map can be viewed on the website. Detailed zoning information for a specific property may be requested by contacting the Division of Building at (440) 234-2218. A written response can take 3-5 business days to complete.

Does the city allow record viewing for a specific property?

An application to view public records can be submitted to the Division of Building. Requests are processed in a timely manner. Although not required, a written request is suggested to enhance the ability to identify and locate accurate records in a timely manner. You will be contacted by phone when all requested documents are available.

Do I have to post a permit in my window?

Effective April 1, 2012, the Building Department will issue fluorescent permits that MUST be posted in a visible location on the job site.

Where is the Division of Building located?

The Division of Building is located in the lower level of City Hall. A direct entrance door is located in the lower level parking area, near the library.

Why do I need a permit?

A permit enables the City to regulate safety and building code compliance. Our inspectors are state certified in all facets of construction (electric, plumbing, mechanical, fire protection, etc.).

What if I don’t get a permit?

Performing work without a permit is in violation of City codes. The purpose of the permit is to ensure that inspections are called in and that the work performed is complete and properly meets the standards of all applicable codes.

Do I need to get a point-of-sale inspection when selling my house?

Middleburg Heights does not require a point-of-sale inspection.

Can my contractor leave their company sign on my lawn?

Contractors may post a sign on your property during the time they are working. Once the work is complete, however, the sign must be removed.