PREPARING FOR SEVERE WEATHER
Even though it’s still cold outside and not feeling much like spring, severe weather season is upon us. Now is the time for you and your family to take some steps to be prepared should bad weather hit home here in Middleburg Heights. I have included several steps below to try and assist you and your family to prepare for the next season in Northeast Ohio. Thank you and be safe.
BE PREPARED BY DOING THE FOLLOWING:
- Develop with your family a tornado/severe weather emergency plan. Sketch a floor plan of where you live, or walk through each room and discuss where and how to seek shelter.
- Mark where your first aid kit and fire extinguishers are located.
- Mark where the utility switches or valves are located so they can be turned off–if time permits–in an emergency.
- Teach your family how to administer basic first aid, how to use a fire extinguisher, and how and when to turn off water, gas, and electricity in your home.
- Write down your family’s specific needs, limitations, capabilities, and medications. Keep this list near you always–perhaps in your purse or wallet.
- Find someone nearby (a spouse, roommate, friend, neighbor, relative, or co-worker) who will agree to assist you in case of an emergency. Give him or her a copy of your list. You may also want to provide a spare key to your home, or directions to find a key.
- Keep aware of weather conditions through whatever means are accessible to you. Some options are closed captioning or scrolled warnings on TV, radio bulletins, or call-in weather information lines.
- Purchase an emergency weather radio so you will always have communication regarding the storm.
- Keep fresh batteries and a battery-powered radio or TV on hand.
LIST OF IMPORTANT INFORMATION:
- First Energy Emergency number: 1-888-LIGHTSS or 1-888-544-4877.
- Columbia Gas: 1-800-344-4077
- Water Company: (216) 664-3130
- Southwest General Hospital: (440) 816-8000
- Names, addresses, and telephone numbers of your insurance agents, including policy types and numbers.
- Names and telephone numbers of neighbors.
- Name and telephone number of your landlord or property manager if renting.
- Important medical information (for example, allergies, regular medications, and brief medical history).