Any person or company performing work related to the construction or alteration of structures or property in the City of Middleburg Heights must be registered with the city as a contractor for the current calendar year. All contractors must fill out a contractor registration application.
City Requirements for Contractor Registration
Surety Bond in the amount of $10,000
- Middleburg Heights does not supply its own bond form
- The bond must be a signed original
- The bond is to expire one year from date of registration
- Continuation bond is accepted for registration renewal
Certificate of Insurance
- Middleburg Heights must be listed as an additional insured
- A copy of the current policy must be submitted
- Sole proprietors must complete an additional affidavit
- BWC employer look-up: www.ohiobwc.com
- A copy of a current license for the application trade such as electrical, plumbing, HVAC or fire protection must be submitted.
- Registration with R.I.T.A. is required when performing work in the City of Middleburg Heights.
- For more information: www.ritaohio.com.
Application Fee in the amount of $100.00
- Application fee can be paid by cash or check made payable to the City of Middleburg Heights.
Upon request and for informational purposes only, the Division of Building can provide property owners with a list of contractors who meet the registration requirements for the City of Middleburg Heights and who are licensed, bonded and insured to work in the city for the current year.
Although neither the Division of Building nor the City of Middleburg Heights recommends contractors, the list of registered contractors can be a great help to property owners when choosing a contractor for their project.
Tips on Hiring Contractors
Frequently, the Division of Building is requested to assist property owners in the resolution of problems involving construction or improvement projects. Often, issues arise well into or at the completion of the project.
Most disputes can be avoided if proper precautions are taken from the start. Before entering into a contract for construction, repairs, additions, or improvements at your property, please consider the following:
- Obtain at least three written proposals.
- Obtain a list of references from the contractor and investigate them.
- Compare proposals to ensure each contractor clearly proposed the same work and that the scope of the work is clearly stated.
- Inquire with the Better Business Bureau and Ohio Attorney General’s Office regarding all contractors considered.
- Confirm that all contractors considered are currently registered with the City of Middleburg Heights.
- Require that the contractor obtain all necessary permits and approvals prior to beginning any work on your project.
- If the contractor requires a deposit, it should be modest; beware of large down payments.
- Never make final payment unless you are totally satisfied with the work and have confirmed that all final inspections have been made. Also, require confirmation that the contractor has completely paid all subcontractors and material suppliers associated with the project.
- Beware of out-of-state home improvement contractors.
- Consult legal counsel immediately if you have any contractual questions or concerns.
Contact us by e-mail at email@example.com or by phone at (440) 234-2218 if you have any questions related to permit requirements or construction standards for your specific project.